Hi everyone! hope all is going good. It’s been a little bit since I made a post, and mostly the reason for that is because I ended up getting injured at work. My finger was trapped in one of our machines and it was mangled a little bit. Not severe enough to break it, but severe enough to tear it up. So I’ve been having some trouble typing-as you could imagine! I’m not going to gross you out with photos, so you’ll have to use your imagination 😉
Nevertheless, I wanted to stop by and post something small, because I know I’ve been absent for a little bit!
It’s been getting warmer and warmer here in NY, very slowly-But! There has been progress.
I know for you tropical birds this still seems freezing, but the temps before this week only ranged from 15-30 degrees F, so that makes all of us winter birds relieved to finally see the weather breaking.
This gets me particularly excited and nervous because in the next couple of weeks the fish will be moved outside. I’m so ready to get this breeding process underway, but I’m also nervous because I literally haven’t started anything. The weather has been so bleak that it seemed spring was a hopeless thought and that putting my fish outside was not going to happen anytime in the near future.
I don’t want to jump the gun on this nice weather though, because this time of the year is a very unstable one (we’ve gotten blizzards in the middle of April before), but I think it’s enough to get started planning and buying the materials at least. So yesterday I went over to Tractor Supply to see if they had what I’m looking for.
As you may know from my previous post, I’m looking for a 150 to a (preferably) 300 gallon tub to house my 8 butterflies. I want to go with the Tuff Stuff brand because from what I read it really holds up over time compared to other brands such as rubber maid, but after doing some research and going to my local Tractor Supply, realized the largest I would be able to get in a Tuff Stuff brand is 110 gallons.
So I ended up purchasing this tub with the intent of performing water changes twice per week. Since I will be housing 8 fish, the water will require more attention to keep it clean and free from built up ammonia and nitrites/nitrates. I brought the tub over to my parent’s house after purchasing it so my father and I can work on building a nice closing top with a latch system. So for now the easy part is done- I have the tub! My focus will now be invested in building a safe enclosed lid. After talking with my dad, he suggested a wooden frame with wired screen top that will open and close overhead -like a chest would. Also, Much like a chest, the lid will come down in the front and connect to a latch that will be secured on the tub. I’ll then have a place to set up a lock system, like the one you see below (obviously on a much bigger scale):
This will be my first year housing my fish outside for the summer. I currently live in an apartment building that houses 4 families (myself included). We do not have our own balconies, but rather two upstairs and downstairs porches. The downstairs porch where we are, has pretty much two sections that each person uses. We have our side where the entrance of our house is, and the other neighbors have the other side. The porches are old (as is the house) but very large and spacious (we can sit outside without having to be on top of each other) But everyone uses the main steps to get to both the upstairs and downstairs apartments. I believe that putting the fish closest to our door would be fine. I’m nervous because they are not sectioned off to just our house and I’m worried someone could mess with them. I’m not saying they would, but there are a few kids living here and I just don’t want my fish to be stressed or messed with in anyway (or stolen). This is where the lock system will come into place, which I anticipate to work out nicely and provide shelter and safety from both animals and people.
I’ve also been thinking of ways to section off where the fish are so they’re really out of sight out of mind. I have a bamboo privacy wall that I bought last year for my porch that I am thinking of using for the front of the tub. I am also planning on purchasing a few sets of bamboo blinds to ensure privacy on my porch, as well as keeping the fish out of direct sunlight. I found this really nice one on amazon:
All I really have to do now, is measure the gaps in between the porch and find the perfect fitting blinds. They can get quite expensive, so I’m going to be purchasing these a couple at a time. I still have about 3-4 weeks before the fish need to be moved outside, but in comparison to what I have to do to prepare, that time frame will go by pretty quickly. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on the progress of this project 🙂
Well that’s all the updates I have for today, I will make a post later on in the week about my new fish and update new (better) photos of them too. It has still been a quiet quarantine- which is a good thing! I also want to do another post about my nano tank because it hasn’t been in the spotlight for a while now and could use some love 🙂
Thanks for reading and talk to you soon!